Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's for Dinner: Pad Thai with Grilled Chicken


I love Thai food, so I generally jump at the chance to enjoy it whenever I can, even if it means making it myself. When I came across this recipe for Vegetable Pad Thai in Everyday Food, I knew I'd have to try it out. The magazine paired it with an Asian Beef Salad, but we're not huge beef eaters. Grilled chicken seemed like a good alternative.

I'm happy to say that everyone loved it. The recipe was really easy, and very flexible. I omitted the scramble eggs, and next time, I think I'll add some carrots, mushrooms and peppers to the noodles.

Vegetable Pad Thai
from Everyday Food

8 ounces dried, wide, and flat rice noodles
2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 large eggs (optional), lightly beaten
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add eggs (if using) and cook, scraping skillet with a rubber spatula, until eggs are almost set, about 30 seconds. Transfer egg mixture to a plate. Add noodles and soy-sauce mixture to skillet; cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft and coated with sauce, about 1 minute. Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently. Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with scallion greens, cilantro, and peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment