Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sweater Wars IV: A New Hope

I really shouldn't be looking for patterns to use with yarn that is already in sweater form, right? But I can't stop myself. I am leaning toward frogging my Radiate sweater. I keep looking at it, and I just don't think the yarn is right for the pattern. The yarn has a nice drape to it, but in this sweater, it looks a bit droopy and floppy, especially in places where you really do not want droop or flop.

I came across this pattern first - the Heliotropic Pullover in the Spring 2011 issue of Interweave Knits.

I think it caught my eye because it has a similar slipped rib pattern, although on this top it has a nice radiating look. I also prefer that it is done on stockinette, versus the reverse stockinette on the Radiate. It's knit in the round, which would be a nice departure from all the straight needle knitting I've been doing lately. I think the stockinette a-line would be a good match for the yarn as well.

But... this pattern is done with a lighter, DK weight yarn. My yarn, Berroco Weekend, is worsted weight. I can try to use smaller needles to see if I can match the gauge, but I don't know how that might impact the drape of the yarn if it is knit on smaller needles. This is where being a novice at all this sweater knitting stuff is really causing problems.
As I'm contemplating all of this, KnitBits - Berroco's weekly e-mail newsletter pops up in my e-mail, and it is featuring a free pattern for Weekend yarn.

The pattern, Quonset, is a button-free cardigan, and I kind of like it - though not at much as the pullover. But this one would definitely work for my yarn because it's written for the yarn. I'd want to knit the sleeves a little longer to 3/4 length. I don't know why, but that length really draws attention to her elbow skin. Yes, the appearance of flabby elbow skin is important when considering sleeve length. Make a note of it.

In the meantime, I'm moving on to another sweater project - my second attempt at a Featherweight Cardigan. I'm using a beautiful yarn I picked up at the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival - Abuelita Baby Merino Lace. And this time, I am keeping it stored away where nothing can damage it.

1 comment:

  1. I've had that featherweight cardigan on my list for a long time. I can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete