Sunday, April 10, 2011

What's for Dinner: Fish Tacos

Last week was my birthday, so my goal was to cook as little as possible. I was actually quite successful in that endeavor, but it doesn't make for a lot to post about. I did have a few meals I prepared-- starting with this recipe. It's not really a full on recipe per say. It starts with already prepared panko breaded tilapia. I get mine at Costco -I love having them on hand. I added a creamy lime sauce from Everyday Food, some shredded cabbage and prepared ranchero sauce.

On the side, I have Mexican rice, based loosely on this recipe from Allrecipes.com. After making this, I will never go back to a box of Mexican or Spanish rice again.

Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce
4 panko breaded tilapia fillets, cut in half diagonally
8 corn tortillas
1/4 head of green or red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, half finely zested and juiced, half cut into wedges
Hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Prepared salsa or ranchero sauce
  1. To make the lime sauce, combine sour cream, lime zest and juice, and a few dashes hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. To prepare the tacos, warm corn tortillas one at a time in a nonstick skillet set at high heat, until they are soft and flexible. Fill with 1 tilapia piece, and top with cabbage, lime sauce and salsa. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

 Mexican Rice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon cumin (can go less on this, depending on your love of cumin)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 chicken bouillon cubes 
  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with spices and salt. 
  2. Stir in tomato sauce, 2 cups of water and bouillon cubes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

1 comment:

  1. I ADORE Panko Tilapia from Costco!!! I will have to try and make these. I've never had a Fish Taco -- but I'm pretty sure I'd like them! :)

    ReplyDelete