Monday, April 11, 2011

If you want to destroy my sweater...


I have a bit of a secret. I finished my sweater. The sleeves are seamed. The button and buttonhole bands are done. The buttons are sewn on. Everything is finished, short of weaving in the ends. And here's where the much darker secret comes in. I think... I... really dislike this sweater. And I'm ready to cry over it. I don't want to weave in the ends because that means I'm truly finished with a sweater that I am really not happy with. The buttonband seems too loose, and it has that oh-so flattering button gaping going on. I'm not happy with the length although I added several inches to the pattern. Will blocking fix this? Should I try it? And if I am still not happy with it, is the yarn even salvageable? The mere thought of frogging this thing and starting another sweater with this yarn sends my stomach into somersaults.
I am thinking that if I just get rid of the buttons, I might be happier with it just being an open cardigan. Or maybe just one button at the top? I don't know. I need to think about it.
 
In the meantime, look at this. I am ashamed. So... ashamed...
 

Sure, I tell myself that I need to stop buying yarn. That I need to use what I have first. And then Sugar'n Cream goes on sale for a buck each, and wham - I'm buying 12 balls of it. The colors just looked so bright, I thought they'd be great for market/beach bags. Do I need four brightly colored market/beach bags? That question is best left unanswered.

1 comment:

  1. sorry you're not happy with your sweater. i think the shorter length looks good with the 3/4 sleeve, but you should try blocking if you want it lengthened. I think losing the buttons and going either buttonless or one button would also help the shorter length look right. for gaping issues, sometimes sewing ribbon onto the back of the buttonband helps. it is definitely a sweater with potential. good luck! nothing worse than putting a lot of time and effort into something that you don't want to wear :(.

    ReplyDelete