Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolutions

I've never been one for resolutions. Ok, ok, I've made resolutions, so I'll rephrase. I've never been one for sticking to resolutions. I guess that's pretty universal - does anybody really? I resolve on January 1 to take better care of myself. And by January 4 I'm eating a bowl of Corn Pops and three - yes, just three - bites of chocolate cake for lunch. Not one of my better moments.

But I guess you have to keep trying. The chocolate cake went into the trash, and I spent the next day trying to declutter our family room - another one of those resolutions: get our house organized and decluttered. So as I'm going through the tangle of yarn, needles, hooks, beads and wire that resides in a basket by my couch - a literal tangle of all these things, mind you- I start to think that I really should be making some crafty type resolutions as well. Keeping better track of and organizing my supplies immediately springs to mind. But it seems the right time of year to set goals for myself creatively. And considering how knitting/crochet/crafty stuff somehow always seem to take priority over those other pesky tasks like, say, cleaning and organizing, perhaps these are resolutions I might actually be able to stick to.

So in no particular order, and off the top of my head.... this year, I want to:
  • Knit and FINISH a sweater for myself.
  • Explore colorwork a little more - work more with Fair Isle and try intarsia.
  • Start and hopefully finish a blanket for my son.
  • Work more with wire knitting and crochet.
  • Decrease my yarn stash by (gulp) half.
  • Learn needle felting.
  • Post at least weekly to my blog.
I think I like creative resolutions a lot more than the other kind. Now off to decrease that stash of mine - starting with a nice chunk of Brooks Farm Solo Silk leftover from my Clapotis.

So tell me, what are your creative resolutions?

3 comments:

  1. One of my creative resolutions is so spend some time working on my craft. I secretly aspire to be an interior designer, but tell myself that "I can't draw" and therefore can't do it. So- when my kids are coloring and drawing people with arms sticking directly out of their heads, I am sketching rooms and atempting to learn how to draw in perspective. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maggi, it's Kathy. I just happen to see your blog post on FB. My sister Tina is very crafty too. Neat that you have this blog.

    My crafty resolution is to take photography classes. I'm signed up to start end of Jan at the Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids. So, I guess I'll have to be keeping that resolution!

    www.kathyandjon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis - I think you've already got a great eye for design! I had no idea you needed to be able to draw to be an interior designer.
    Kathy - That sounds great! I'd love to take a photography class some time.

    ReplyDelete